Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) lays down the hygiene and safety standards that ensure the availability of safe and quality food in any food business. This is one of the most essential licenses out of all the licenses that are required to run a restaurant successfully without getting tangled in legal hindrances. It is mandatory for every restaurant owner to get the FSSAI License for their Restaurant from the State Authority.
In our previous article, we talked about the importance of FSSAI licenses, and how it impacts the restaurant business. In response to it, we received multiple requests from readers asking how to do FSSAI License Registration or how to get a food license, what are the essential documents required to procure the FSSAI license, etc. To cater to such queries, here we have come up with a follow-up article, where we provide you with a step-by-step guide to registering your Restaurant under FSSAI.
Let’s read more to understand how to get a food license in India.
Why Is It important To Get An FSSAI Registration?
Some of the reasons you should register under FSSAI are:
- Apart from legal aspects, FSSAI License ensures the food quality at your Restaurant.
- In this age of customer awareness, most customers want to eat only good quality food that has been certified for safe consumption. FSSAI logo on menus & pamphlets increases the credibility of your restaurant business and increases the customer’s confidence in your brand.
- It helps in the business expansion and standardization of your Restaurant’s kitchen operations. FSSAI food license is issued only to those restaurants which meet the specifications in the back-end design laid down by the body. These specifications, in a way, act as a stencil to achieve an effective and safe design within the smallest necessary space. Thus design standardization in your kitchen and other back-end spaces throughout all your branches can be achieved by following these guidelines.
You can read about how the FSSAI License can impact your Restaurant Business here.
How to do FSSAI License Registration for your Restaurant?
Follow the below-mentioned step by step process to get an FSSAI Registration for your restaurant and food business:
Step 1: Go to http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in, or click here. The application starts with checking the eligibility criterion if you are eligible for a Central or State License. You need to enter the address for each location separately and check for their eligibility individually.
Note: If your Restaurant has a turnover of up to 20 crores, you should go for State License and if you have a turnover more significant than 20 crores, go for Central License.
Step 2: After the page opens, click on ‘Sign-up’ for the available license. Fill the sign-up form with contact details. Make sure you have a valid Email ID or a contact number.
Step 3: Think of a unique username for the registration and enter the password. After filling up the form, click on Register to complete the sign-up process.
Step 4: After the account activation, you will also get a sign-up success confirmation message through SMS and email.
Point to Remember: This user ID is valid for 30 days, so make sure that you apply online within 30 days, or this user ID will be disabled.
Step 5: Sign in to your account and fill up the online FSSAI Registration Application Form. (https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/index.aspx) (Make sure you have all the relevant documents required for the application. Also, make sure the application form is completed in one sitting, else the form goes to the incomplete tab). We have mentioned the critical documents needed for FSSAI Registration below.
Step 6: After filling out the online application, take a printout of the form before you click on ‘Submit.’
Step 7: Note down the reference number that is displayed on the screen once you have applied. The reference number is required to track the progress of your application for Registration or Licensing.
Step 8: Submit the printout of the filled-up Online Application Form to the Regional Authority/State Authority with all supportive documents within 15 days from the date of making the online submission for your application to be considered.
FSSAI Registration Certificate Fees is INR 100/Year. For the central license, the cost is INR 7500/Year, and for the state license, it is INR 2000/Year.
What Are The Important Documents Required For FSSAI Registration?
Here is the complete list of documents that you would need for getting a food license for your Restaurant:
- Form duly completed and signed by the Proprietor(Restaurant Owner).
- Identity Proof
- Address Proof issued by Government Authorities
- List of leading directors and stakeholders in the business with their identity proof
- Valid Email ID and Contact Number
- Food Safety Management plan (You can get these documents from the nearest Notary or can be downloaded online)
- Proof of possession of premise(Sale Deed, Rent Agreement, Electricity Bill, etc.)
- NOCs from Municipal Corporations or local bodies.
- Kitchen Layout Plan
- Water Testing Report from an ISI approved the facility
- Partnership Deed/ Affidavit of Proprietorship (in case of business operated in other premises or case of partnership firm)
- List of Food Category
- Types of equipment to be used.
- Medical Certificates of Employees.
For more information on fee structure and document list, you can visit the How To Apply section on the FSSAI website.
In today’s internet age, getting information and applying has been quite easy as compared to the older times when people had to go window to window for different kinds of approvals. The hassles of acquiring various licenses have been drastically reduced now. Now you know how to get a food license online by submitting all the required documents and paying the fee online as well. There are also a lot of agencies and consultants who take all your pain of doing the paperwork and applying for the license on your behalf.
Stay tuned to The Restaurant Times to know more about FSSAI License Registration and the critical things about food safety. Do not forget to share your insights so that we can help you further!